The 8 Best AI Detection Tools
In today’s writing world, AI’s presence is like a two-sided coin. On one face, AI writing software and content generators speed up content creation and optimisation in truly remarkable ways. But flip it over, and you'll see that relying too much on AI can actually end up harming your website's search engine ranking.
Now, it's not always easy to spot AI-generated text. AI bots are being fed tons of human writing, so they've pretty much mastered our writing style. So, it can be hard to tell the difference between AI-generated and human-written texts, even for an experienced eye.
And that’s where AI detectors come in! These tools can help you identify AI-generated text by looking for specific patterns and characteristics. However, given how AI checkers are flooding the online space, with a new tool hitting the market every other day, how could one decide which ones are actually good and are worth using?
Don’t worry; we've simplified the process for you. In this article, we present you with a tightly curated list of the eight best AI detection tools, making your selection process much easier.
- A Comprehensive AI Detection Tool: Originality.AI, “Whether you’re a web publisher, a writer or a content marketer, with this advanced tool, you can detect AI-generated copy, add unlimited team members, check plagiarism and readability score.”
- For SEO-Optimised Content: Content At Scale, “An AI detector tool that can scan full-length, SEO-optimised blog posts to detect AI content.”
- To Detect AI Content In Academic Writings: CrossPlag, “An easy-to-use AI content detector tool for detecting AI-generated content in academic works, essays, and assignments.”
- To Detect Content Generated By More Than One Language Model: GPTZero, “GPTZero will help you detect content generated by GPT-3.5, GPT-4 and Bard, with detailed probabilities and statistics.”
- To Detect Paraphrased AI-Generated Content: Copyleaks, “With AI detection in 15+ languages, Copyleaks can easily catch paraphrased content to bypass AI detection.”
- To Detect AI Content With 99.6% Accuracy: Winston.AI, “A powerful software that can detect AI generated copy with a 99.6% accuracy rate, ensuring authenticity and originality.”
- For Copywriters: Writer.com, “A comprehensive AI-powered platform that not only detects AI-generated content but also assists you in writing AI-free content from scratch.”
- To Use AI Detector For Free: ZeroGPT, “Trained on multiple language models for high accuracy, ZeroGPT helps you detect AI-generated for absolutely free.”
How AI Content Detectors Work?
AI content detection tools use various techniques and algorithms to check whether a piece of content is AI-generated or not. However, the most common approach these tools use is to analyse how predictable the phrase choices are in a piece of content.
In simple terms, an AI detection tool decides if a human or an AI wrote something based on whether the writing follows the pattern that typically an AI might use to generate a piece of text.
This process involves two core concepts, i.e.:
Perplexity is a measure of how well an AI model can predict the next word in a sequence of sentences. A lower perplexity would mean that the AI model is good at predicting the next word in a given sequence, while a higher perplexity would mean the AI model is less accurate in its predictions.
“I couldn’t get to sleep last __."
A language model with high perplexity might say, “I couldn’t get to sleep last pleased to meet you.” This is a straight-up word jumble. It doesn’t make any sense.
Another suggestion could be, “I couldn’t get to sleep last time I drank coffee in the morning.”, a less likely possibility, but the sentence still makes sense grammatically and structurally.
But A language model with low perplexity might say, “I couldn’t get to sleep last night”. It's an accurate, correct prediction of what likely comes next.
As you can see, there are various possibilities for an output. However, for AI content detectors, if a piece of text has low perplexity, they may flag it as AI-generated.
Burstiness is a measure of how predictable the tempo and length of a sentence structure is in a piece of writing. AI-generated text is often more predictable than human-generated text because AI models tend to follow a certain length and flow, which isn’t the case for human writing. Real people tend to write in lulls and bursts - sometimes, we try to say too much in a single sentence, then switch to keep it short and snappy in the very next.
Whereas AI models tend to be less “bursty” than humans. This is because they predict the most probable next word in a sentence, so they usually produce sentences that are average in length (around 10 to 20 words) with conventional sentence structures. That’s why AI-generated content tends to be quite monotonous and generic.
So, for AI content detectors, low burstiness is also a sign that a piece of content is AI-generated.
How We Found The Best AI Content Detectors?
We provided these AI content generation tools with three types of content: content entirely generated by humans, a mix of human-made and AI-made content, and lastly, content that was entirely AI-generated. The goal was simple: to check how accurate these tools were in figuring out what’s what. And we didn’t stop there. We also examined other factors, including.
- Feature Analysis: To identify the best tools, we examined their features and capabilities. We focused on aspects such as accuracy, speed, scalability, and compatibility with different types of content.
- User Reviews: We looked into user reviews, testimonials, and case studies to understand how people use these tools and objectively measure their practicality.
- Comparative Analysis: We conducted head-to-head comparisons of the shortlisted tools. We evaluated their pros and cons in relation to one another, and we were able to rank them based on their overall performance and suitability.
- Customisation and Integration: We looked into the customisation options and compatibility with various platforms and software.
- Ethical Considerations: While making our choices, we fully paid attention to the ethical aspects of AI content detection, including privacy concerns, bias mitigation, and transparency.
- Updates and Support: We considered the frequency of updates, the responsiveness of customer support, and the commitment of the tool developers to stay up-to-date with the latest advancements.
- Cost-Effectiveness: We evaluated the cost-effectiveness of each tool by weighing its capabilities against its pricing structure.
With these steps in mind, we bring you this extensive list of the eight best content detection tools in the market today. So, look and choose the one that suits your needs best.
Recommended AI Detection Tools
A Comprehensive AI Detection Tool
At its core, Originality.AI is indeed an AI content detection tool, but it has a lot more to offer! Built by a team of AI experts and marketers, Originality.AI is essentially a one-stop solution for web publishers looking for a complete content quality control tool.
With Orginiality.AI, you will get:
- 99% AI content detection accuracy.
- The ability to check whether AI or human-written content has been paraphrased
- An in-depth analysis of your content’s readability with accurate scores and statistics
- The ability to add or remove unlimited team members, manage their access level, and see the complete record of their scan history
- The ability to share detailed reports
- The ability to scan your entire site and see it is full-proof from Google’s future potential AI updates
Originality.AI has a false positive rate of 2%, the lowest among all the AI content detection tools in the industry. So, you can trust that your content won't be flagged unjustly as AI-written.
For a free trial, you can simply install the free AI detection Chrome extensions and earn 50 credits to test Originality AI’s detection capabilities. Each credit lets you scan 100 words.
Beyond the free Chrome extension trial, there are two other ways to pay:
- Pay-as-You-Go: Pay once for limited features; great if you won’t use it often.
- Subscription: Pay monthly for all the features; great if you’ll use it frequently.
If you’re looking for a powerful AI content detector that ensures you publish AI-free, plagiarism-free, high-quality content, then there’s no tool better than Originality AI.
For SEO-Optimised Content
Content At Scale
If you wish to write SEO-friendly, AI-free content that won’t be penalised by Google, then there’s no tool better than Content At Scale’s AI checker.
Content at Scale's AI Checker is trained to detect content generated by GPT4, GPT3.5, Bard, Claude, and other LLMs to ensure an accuracy rate of 98%.
The AI Checker will look for specific patterns that are common in AI-generated text, such as:
- Repetitive words and phrases
- Lack of natural flow
- Generic ton
- Unusual sentence structure
Plus, you’ll get an in-depth, sentence-by-sentence analysis. The AI detector will flag the exact section that needs revision, also specifying the reasons for it. You can scan up to 25,000 characters in one go, which is a lot for a free tool service.
Another great thing about Content At Scale’s AI checker is the simplified scoring! When you run your text through the AI detection tool, you will see an overall probability indicating whether it will likely be written by a human or an AI (or you just write like one).
Besides this, you can access everything else you need to write long-form SEO content. With built-in SEO tools, Content at Scale is an all-in-one content production platform.
To Detect AI Content In Academic Writings:
As using AI becomes increasingly popular, maintaining academic integrity has become a growing struggle for students. If you want to ensure your assignments and papers are 100% authentic, with no room for AI-generated content, then CrossPlag’s AI checker is here to help.
Featuring natural language processing and advanced machine learning, the AI detector has been rigorously trained to precisely predict your text's origin. The AI checker is super easy to use and produces results instantly.
After the AI checker scans your text, you’ll get a confidence percentage evaluating whether your input is human-written or AI-written. A high confidence percentage would mean AI likely generated that text, while a low confidence percentage would mean the text was human-written.
Additionally, CrossPlag also offers a single language and translation plagiarism checking feature, that too in over 100+ languages.
Currently, CrossPlag offers three different pricing plans:
- Pay-as-You-Go: 50 credits = 5000 words + additional features.
- Bundle: 1000 credits = 100,000 words + additional features
- Institution: Book a demo for pricing.
For a free trial, you can create an account on CrossPlag and earn 20 credits to text its AI content detection capabilities.
Whether you’re a teacher, student, or researcher concerned about AI-written text and plagiarism, Crossplag’s AI checker will be a valuable tool to ensure your academic works remain 100% original and authentic.
To Detect Content Generated By More Than One Language Model
With new AI models being introduced every now and then, it’s more important than ever to have an AI detection tool that can keep pace. And that’s where GPTZero comes in! This AI checker can easily detect content generated by ChatGPT, GPT-4, BARD, Llama, and multiple other AI models, ensuring you get the most accurate results.
With GPTZero, you can:
- Browse the internet
- Create a writing report on Google Docs with detailed statistics, writing activity timeline, highlighted copy-paste sections, and average revision time.
- Watch a playback of a writer’s work on a document, from start to finish
- Batch scan multiple files to check AI content
- Access an easy-to-use API to incorporate AI content detection capabilities into your workflow.
Now, GPTZero offers two plans: free and paid. With the free version, you can only benefit from its AI content detection capabilities. Also, the free version provides a limit of 5000 characters. However, with paid versions, the limit goes up to 50K characters, with all the extra features mentioned previously.
So, if you’re looking for an AI model that can keep up with the latest models, GPTZero is a reliable option. It works accurately for most use cases and is recognised by multiple premier institutions.
To Detect AI-generated That’s Paraphrased
Not all AI content detectors are created equal; some are just better, and Copyleaks definitely takes the lead. Unlike other AI checkers, Copyleaks can quickly identify AI-generated content that has been paraphrased. This means that not only can Copyleaks highlight directly copied AI-generated text, but it can also catch content that has undergone subtle changes to bypass AI content detection.
Additionally, Copyleaks will provide you:
- Complete AI Model Coverage: The AI checker can detect AI text generated by ChatGPT (including GPT-4), Bard, and other AI models. Plus, it’s being continuously trained and updated as new models roll out.
- Unparalleled Speed and Accuracy: The AI detector gives results instantly and features a 99.1% accuracy and a 0.2% false positive rate.
- In-Depth Analysis: The AI checker highlights the sections likely to be AI-generated. Plus, it gives a precise probability score for AI-generated content.
- AI Detection Across Multiple Languages: It can detect AI content in over 15 languages.
Copyleaks offers a free service trial to scan up to 10 pages. Besides this, you can upgrade your plan based on your needs and choose to be billed monthly or yearly to access its comprehensive services.
So, if you want comprehensive and reliable AI content detection solutions, Copyleaks is your ideal choice.
To Detect AI Content With 99% Accuracy
With an accuracy rate of 99.6%, Winston AI can help you detect your AI-generated content from various LLMs, including ChatGPT, GPT-4, Bard, Bing Chat, Claude and more.
Winstone AI will help you:
- On a scale of 0-100, detect whether a piece of text is AI-generated or not.
- Provide sentence-by-sentence assessment using AI prediction map.
- Check plagiarism in your written content.
- Generate an extensive report with crucial statistics and insights.
- Scan and extract printed/handwritten text from documents and images using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) technology.
- Detect AI content in English and French.
- Add unlimited members of your team.
- Currently, Winston AI offers three plans:
- Free: Scan up to 2k words + basic features.
- Essential: Scan up to 80K words + basic features
- Advanced: Scan up to 200,000 words + comprehensive features
Whether you’re a writer, a student or a web publisher, Winston AI will ensure your text is 100% accurate and 99.6% AI-free!
If you’re looking for a tool that not only detects AI content but also assists you in writing AI-free content from scratch, then Writer.com is the perfect fit for your needs!
Unlike other platforms, you don’t need to sign up or pay any fee to use Writer.com’s AI content detection capabilities. Simply copy-paste your text or URL in the AI content checker and click on “analyse” to get an instant AI score. The AI checker can scan up to 1500 characters in one go.
Writer.com also offers a free, comprehensive grammar check to ensure your text is clear, error-free, and easy to understand. And if you need more, Writer.com’s paid membership will give you access to many advanced features, including assisted writing, AI-powered templates, and plagiarism detection.
Overall, Writer.com is an excellent tool for copywriters who want to create high-quality content that is original and free of AI content.
To Use AI Detector For Free
Not all of us can manage the costs of a monthly or yearly AI content checker subscription, right? Enter: ZeroGPT. Trained on multiple language models (including ChatGPT, GPT-4 and Bard, it’s a simple, easy-to-use AI content detector with an accuracy rate of 98%.
All you have to do is type in the text you want to be analysed or upload it as a doc file, and the AI checker will instantly give you results. The AI checker has a limit of 15k characters, which is more than what most AI detection tools offer currently, even including the paid ones. You can also batch-upload files, which is a huge plus.
So, for anyone looking for a reliable and easy-to-use AI content detection tool on a budget, ZeroGPT is your best bet.