What is Brand Image? Explanation and Examples
Brand Image is how customers think of a brand. It can be defined as the perception of the brand in the minds of the customers.
This image develops over time. Customers form an image based on their interactions and experience with the brand. These interactions take place in many forms and not necessarily involve the purchase or use of products and services.
What is Brand Image?
An image is the set of beliefs, ideas, and impression that a person holds regarding an object. – Kotler
Brand image is the perception of the brand in the mind of the customer. It is an aggregate of beliefs, ideas, and impressions that a customer holds regarding the brand.
A brand can be perceived differently by different customers. Hence, the formation of a consistent brand image is a huge task for any business.
Importance of Brand Image
Every Company strives to build a strong image as it helps in fulfilling their business motives. A strong brand image has the following advantages –
- More profits as new customers are attracted to the brand.
- Easy to introduce new products under the same brand.
- Boosts the confidence of existing customers. Helps in retaining them.
- Better Business-Customer relationship.
While a company with a bad image may struggle to operate and might not be able to launch a new product under the same brand.
What Give Rise to Brand Image?
Business spends most of their time, effort, and resources in building their brand identity. They decide how their brand will look, how should the customer feel when they contact with the brand, where should the brand be located in consumers’ mind (Brand positioning), and other associations. This all, when summed up, gives rise to a brand personality which eventually gives rise to the brand image when the customer interacts with this brand.
This is just like with humans. When we meet a person we assess his personality and forms a perception of him in our minds.
Examples of Brand Image
- Coca-cola is a brand known for a product best used at the time of happiness, joy, and good experience. It is the ‘original cola’ and has a ‘unique taste’.
- Woodland Shoes are solid and are an ideal choice for outdoors. They last very long.
- McDonald’s has an image of an inexpensive brand that serves the food very quickly.
- Walmart is best known for a retail brand selling goods for a lesser price than usual retailers.
- Rolls-Royce is a premium brand considered to be exclusive for wealthy and influential people.
- The brand image of Nike is different from other apparel brands. It’s considered to be a cult brand which deals only in sportswear.
Brand Image vs Brand Identity
Brand identity is how the company portrays itself to the customers. It’s how the brand wants the customer to perceive it.
Brand image, on the other hand, is how the customers actually perceive the brand. The company has less control over the brand image and always strive to align the brand image with the desired brand identity.
Go On, Tell Us What You Think!
Did we miss something? Come on! Tell us what you think of this article in the comments section.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?