Netflix is the biggest and most popular video streaming platform globally.
With such a massive pool of movies and shows, streaming content over the Internet is the best way and without a doubt, Netflix is the top choice among users. Though it started as a DVD rental service and added the subscription model, later on, it has now started to produce original content which is a major attraction for the subscribers to pay for the streaming service.
Here are some key Netflix statistics with respect to users, revenues, expenses, and content.
Netflix is an online video streaming service that allows users to watch movies and TV shows on an internet-connected device by way of a paid subscription. It offers a commercial-free and easy-to-use platform to viewers with visible user ratings and rankings.
- Website: Netflix.com
- Founded: August 29, 1997
- Founders: Reed Hastings, Marc Randolf
- Headquarters: Los Gatos, California, US
- Key managerial personnel: Reed Hastings (Co-CEO), Ted Sarandos (Co-CEO), Greg Peters (COO, CPO), Spencer Neumann (CFO)
- Global launch: 2016
- IPO date: May 23, 2002, at $15 per share
- Stock price: $515.92 (NASDAQ: NFLX) on August 13, 2021
- Total paid subscribers: from 203.66 million in 2020 to 209 million in July 2021
- Net subscriber additions: from 36.57 million in 2020 to 5.34 million in 2021 till July
- Additional memberships per quarter: from 4 million in Q1-2021 to1.54 million in Q2-2021
- 2020 has been the best subscriber growth year with a 21.9% annual growth rate. 2021 has turned out to be in a conservative trend with 1.54 million subscribers added in Q2 – 2021 as compared to the 10.1 million in Q2-2020.
- As much as 48.3% of the global audience demanded the Netflix digital original series as of Q2-2021.
- Market share as compared to competitors: 29% in 2020 to 20% in 2021 for Netflix
- Amazon at 16%
- Hulu at 13%
- HBO at 12%
- Disney+ at 11%
Netflix subscribers by region as of Q2-2021:
- U.S. and Canada – 73.95 million (35%)
- Europe, the Middle East, and Africa – 68.7 million (33%)
- Latin America – 38.66 million (18%)
- Asia Pacific – 27.88 (13%)
Netflix users by countries:
- United States – 67.3 million
- Brazil – 18.2 million
- United Kingdom – 12.8 million
- Germany – 10.7 million
- France – 8.4 million
With Netflix content streaming in more than 190 countries, the United States remains the leading market for the Netflix streaming service.
Norway with 1.97 million subscribers, roughly 37% of the country’s total population, has the highest percentage of Netflix subscribers.
Source: Netflix, Statista, Comparitech, Forbes
- Sex ratio: 52% female and 48% male as of March 2021
- Generation: Millennials – 33%, GenZ – 18%, GenX – 26%, baby Boomers – 22%
- Annual Income: 50% users have an income of less than $50,000, 30% users have $50,000 – $100,000 and 19% users have more than $100,00
Source: Morning Consult
- Total annual revenue: from $25 billion in 2020 to $14.5 billion in 2021 till June
Revenue by region
- UCAN (46.3%) – $11.45 billion in 2020 to $6.4 billion in 2021 till June
- EMEA (31.4%) – $7.77 billion in 2020 to $4.7 billion in 2021 till June
- LATAM (12.8%) – $3.15 billion in 2020 to $1.7 billion in 2021till June
- APAC (9.6%) – $2.37 billion in 2020 to $1.56 billion in 2021 till June
Netflix revenue for Q2 of 2021 was $7.3 billion which showed a 19.4% increase year on year.
For the twelve months ending June 2021, revenue was $27.5 billion which showed a 21.91% increase.
The annual revenue growth rate for 2020 was 24%.
- The average revenue per membership by region:
- UCAN – $14.54 million
- EMEA – $11.66 million
- LATAM – $7.5 million
- APAC – $9.74 million
For the second quarter ended 30th June 2021, Netflix recorded an 8% growth in its average revenue per membership.
- Operating Income: $4.5 billion in 2020 to $3.8 billion in 2021 till June.
- Net income: $2.7 billion in 2020 to $3.05 billion in 2021 till June.
The operating margin is expected to increase to 20% by the end of 2021 from 18%
- Netflix saves over $1 billion per year through its recommendation system.
- Average market cap: from $238.89 billion in 2020 to $227.98 billion as of August 2021
- Total operating expenses: $5.1 billion in 2020 to $2.8 billion in 2021 till June
- Number of employees: 9400 as of 2020, a 9.3% increase from 2019
- Average salary: $109,807 or $52 per hour
- Median salary: $113,866 or $54 per hour
Netflix secured 36.2% of the total US over-the-top television industry’s revenue in 2020. But it is expected to be down to 28.4% by 2022 with the growing popularity of other platforms like Disney+, Hulu, and Amazon.
Source: Netflix, Macro Trends, USSEC, Comparably
Netflix Statistics: Content
- US library size: 5,723 titles in total with 3,749 movies and 1,974 shows as of August 2021
- An US adult spends 30 minutes on average, daily watching Netflix.
- Languages: 30+
- Most viewed original movie: Extraction as of July 2021
- Most viewed original series: English – Bridgerton, Non-English – Money Heist S4 as of July 2021
- Longest running show: Grey’s Anatomy
- Most rewatched show: Friends
- 80% of the most popular original shows are produced by Netflix
- Amount spent on original content production: $17.3 billion in 2020 and will be around $20 billion in 2021
Source: JustWatch, NewsWeek, What’s on Netflix, Nielsen, Statista
Other Netflix Stats And Facts
- The Netflix mobile app was downloaded 7 million times in July 2021.
- Netflix can hit a mark of 54 million new subscriber additions over 2 years by the end of 2021 if it hits the 3.5 million mark in the 3rd quarter.
- Netflix can spend $20 million per hour on content and a Netflix original series – The Crown cost $13 million per episode.
- People aged 20-40 choose Netflix as their favourite streaming platform.
- 23% of US adults stream Netflix on a daily basis.
Go On, Tell Us What You Think!
Did we miss something? Come on! Tell us what you think of this article on Netflix Statistics in the comments section.
A startup enthusiast, optimist and full time learner. With keen interest in finance and management, Khushi believes communication to be the key to every management. Always ready to explore more and walking that extra mile in putting efforts.